Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Whitehorse, 5 a.m.

This is deceptively dark. In this picture, it looks like the darkest part of night we are experiencing right now, but that's only because it's overcast.


Mainstreet Whitehorse, facing west


Mainstreet Whitehorse, facing east

So, what was I doing downtown Whitehorse at 5 a.m.? Well, I was watching a baker at his trade with the intention of taking over some if not all of his duties in the bakery. It is a long, complicated and tenuous story, so no details for now. All I can say is if this works out, I won't have to make more than one Soapy Smith t-shirt so that I can put a little cash in my pocket.

One thing you cannot see is the literally-named Two-Mile Hill, which I ride down to get into town and up to get back to Karyn & Robin's. I will have buns o' steel, if this keeps up. There is also a huge new sports complex here, the spoils from a recent visit from the Canada Games this past winter. They have an Olympic-sized pool, a weight room, couple of rinks, and they even had red-clad mounties when I was there. It is a treat, and probably a great joy in the winter, with its steamroom and sauna. It's about half way up Two-Mile Hill, so it makes a great pause in the journey back to the house.

I also have tons of other stories, but no time to post them. I am finishing up my thesis, with my eye on the new prize to work like a newly-employed demon in the bakery. Goodbye theory, hello pastry!

Even with all the goings on, I think about and miss all you people in the South (you know who you are!) and I promise to get cracking on those postcards & letters as soon as humanly possible. Oh yeah, and when I get an address for y'all to send replies to! (by the way, no complaints about the dangling preposition--I defy Strunk & White!)

No comments: